The Office of Cybercrime of the Department of Justice confirms today that Facebook has taken down a page that was involved in malicious tagging that victimized some Facebook users in the country.
According to the cybercrime bureau, Facebook confirmed that as of 11AM today, April 21, the page was taken down and its administrators were sanctioned.
Based on information shared on FB, a number of the social media users are tagged in a post containing a link to a lewd video and when they access the said link, the user will be asked to install an apparent update to a player in order to watch the video in full. When clicked, it will result in the automatic and random tagging in the same post of other Facebook account users.
This prompted DOJ-OOC to raised the matter to the APAC Legal Law Enforcement Outreach of Facebook for their appropriate action.
According to the cybercrime bureau the introduction or transmission of viruses, such as malwares, to and interference in the functioning of computer systems are prohibited acts under Republic Act No. 10175 or the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012.
HOW TO UNTAG YOURSELF
If you received a notification tagging you in a seemingly malicious post, or from people whom you do not know personally, Department of Information and Communication Technology advises not to click the link attached to the post and report it to Facebook immediately.
Here are some important tips on how to secure and restrict the options for those who can tag you. To tighten your privacy on the platform you can follow these simple steps.
- Go to your Facebook account settings
- In the settings page, navigate to the Notification Settings
- Now, in the “What Notifications You Receive” section select the “Tags” button
- Then, go to “Get notifications when you’re tagged by” and select the “Friends” button
This process will now limit the notifications that will appear in your Facebook Account Notification Tab to your Facebook friends only.
How to remove comment tagging:
- Go to the post where you have been tagged in a comment
- Click more option () and choose Give feedback or report this comment
- Then choose spam on report choices and click next
- On the other steps you can take, choose “Remove tag”