A fire erupted in Purok Tangkong, Barangay 7, Bacolod City on Saturday night, September 9, swiftly engulfing 40 houses.
Of these, 38 were completely destroyed, while 2 sustained damage, and left 201 residents homeless.
The fire, which left 63 families homeless, was traced back to the house of Frederico Lumayno, who had been cooking on a butane stove.
Lumayno admitted to forgetting about his cooking as he left to attend a wake, ultimately leading to the inferno.
Bacolod Fire Marshal Chief Inspector Stephen Jardeleza, said they received the fire call at 9:48 p.m., approximately two hours after Lumayno had begun cooking.
Most houses in the affected area, constructed with light materials, were highly susceptible to the rapid spread of flames.
Firefighters were challenged in extinguishing the blaze due to narrow pathways within the area. Despite these difficulties, they managed to bring the fire under control, finally extinguishing it at 11:15 p.m. on Saturday.
Bacolod Mayor Alfredo Abelardo Benitez personally visited the scene of the fire on Saturday night and subsequently visited the fire victims on Sunday. He assured them of the city government’s assistance during this challenging time.
A temporarily shelter were Villamonte gym, with the city government providing essential support, including food, folding beds, sleeping and hygiene kits, modular tents, and water.