COVID strike 8 family members; 2 unvaccinated died


Bacolod City, Negros Occidental—The Bacolod City Emergency Operations Center today, September 16, reported that a family of 8 was hit by the deadly coronavirus and 2 of their unvaccinated kin died after they were infected.

Contact tracing data showed that the first family member who contracted the virus was the 39-year-old son, an event organizer, who died last September 1. His death was followed by that of his 35-year-old brother, 10 days later.

Their 68-year-old father, who also tested positive for COVID-19, but was vaccinated, only experienced mild symptoms, according to the EOC. The only family member who tested negative for COVID-19 was their 75-year-old mother who was also vaccinated, the EOC added.

In a report released by the EOC today and was posted on the official Facebook page of the city’s Public Information Office, it shows that at least 70% of those who tested positive of the virus and who are currently treated in different hospitals are unvaccinated. While the remaining 30% received either their first dose or are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

With the spike of the current cases, the EOC once again urged the public to get vaccinated. EOC said that these figures show that vaccinated individuals have a lower chance of having a severe or critical condition upon contracting COVID-19, compared to unvaccinated persons.

Per the latest case count released today by the Department of Health in Region 6, the city has recorded a total of 125 new cases bringing our current active cases to 1,602.

NNO strives for accuracy and fairness. If you find a portion of our story to be flawed or misleading, we’d be happy to correct or clarify it. Please email us at